Much has been written about Location Based Marketing tools, and it’s fair to say that many people still aren’t aware of what’s there. This post looks at the essentials on Gowalla and Foursquare.
What are these location based tools?
Gowalla - positioned as a social version of lonely planet, a travel guide written by your friends.
Foursquare - mash-up between an online loyalty card and geo-social networking tool.
How do they work?
Users access these Location Based Marketing tools from their smartphone. On arrival at a destination, they 'check in'.
- Points, badges, rewards.
- Gowalla gives you nicely designed badges ‘passport stamps’
- Foursquare gives you points and potential rewards.
- Both share tips from other visitors.
- You can see if any existing or potentially new friends are at the same place.
- Both connect to Twitter, Facebook and you can share updates with friends.
- Gowalla claims internationally to have over 1 million users
- Foursquare claims to have 7.5 million users.
Other posts on Gowalla
Other posts on Foursquare
Want more Quick Wins? Buy the book. Buy the app.
Labels: 4sq, foursquare, Gowalla, location based