This is a great marketing case study for all marketing students.
When faced with a plethora of identical and not exciting offers, the agency VCCP created a distinct personality with the meerkat, Aleksandr Orlov. This imaginary character has 35,146 Followers on Twitter, has been added to 1,128 Twitter lists and 672,192 Facebook fans.
As an advertising vehicle, the ad works.
We feel a key ingredient in this advertising is due to the use of social media like Twitter and Facebook. It has all the right viral qualities:
- It’s memorable
- Traffic to the website is said to have increased by over 80%
- Market share has increased
- And can you remember the competitors’ names?
- It’s fun
- Sites are fairly regularly updated – therefore engaging
- Easy to share via Twitter by retweeting or suggesting to friends that they become a fan on Facebook
- It’s responsive! Aleksandr will respond to Twitter and Facebook comments / posts
- Better still the agency / clients can measure the responses to the campaign directly
Are you a fan or follower of Aleksandr? Have you looked at the mother website as a result? Do let us know!
Labels: social media